Sunday, 4 May 2014

Knit archer

There's no two ways about it, this shirt is the only reason I wanted the Archer pattern. Sure, later I was wooed by visions of cozy plaid flannel and flowy sleeveless chiffon, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the pattern was knits! Because, lets face it, if you're anything like me the only thing you want to reach for every morning is soft slouchy t-shirts or cozy flannel button ups... and this is both!

I made this up a couple of days after my first Archer and it was sinfully easy. I cut the exact same size and sewed it up the exact same way, even using a contrast knit for the inner yoke, the only change I made was to sew it up with a ball-point needle and a small zig-zag stitch.

Remember that Hemlock I showed you last week made from a Primark infinity scarf? Well, this shirt is made with the other scarf I bought, and I have another in green lined up to be another shirt.Due to the scarf being quite narrow I had to cut the back in two pieces, but I managed to get the whole shirt out of one scarf which I was pretty pleased with.

This shirt epitomises why I sew more knits than woven, because everything I had issues with on my first Archer worked out perfectly. My sleeve-heads are smooth, my ziz-zag topstiching melts into the fabric and it came together within hours. The only thing is I haven't decided what buttons to put on it so it doesn't close. Instead I've been tying it on top of dresses and it's now my go to cardigan.

The only thing I would change is the interfacing. I used a medium-weight fusible interfacing and it worked fine but it was a little too heavy for the tissue knit so the collar sits up a little awkwardly. I think next time I'll try a knit interfacing and see if that makes a difference.

Oh, I almost forgot! This is a lesson on why you should always check your iron temperature! (Especially when working with highly synthetic fabrics!) Luckily I always wear my hair on my right side so it covers the hole, but I should really do something about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment