Wednesday, 4 September 2013

The Dress: The Final Product

AKA Part II (Jeez!! This is a saga you might just want to look at the pictures and be done with it!)

Okay, so when we left off I had decided to make the dress, found my fabrics and had a vague idea of what the hell I was supposed to be doing... This sense of calmness lasted about five minutes...maybe four. The problem was that because of my final exams, an impromptu trip to London and my involvement in planning the actual Prom, I didn't properly start the dress until two evenings before. The bodice lining was complete and the bodice pieces were cut but that was the extent. Hopefully you can see where this is going...

Yup you guessed it waiting until the last minute meant that everything that could go wrong did! The first issue that I had was that when cutting out the bodice pieces I had corrected all the issues that I had found with the lining, this would be fine but I hadn't changed the lining itself. So I attacked the two fabrics, eventually managing to sew them together. I then flipped the bodice over, ironed and under-stitched(ish) it only to find that the two pieces were two COMPLETELY different shapes which was distorting the sweetheart and meant that the centre back was not in the centre of the back!. I unpicked it, leaving a tiny row of dots in my silk (Sob) and altered the lining so it was the same as the outer fabric then re-stitched them.
The victory photo I sent my bestfriend the moment I finished it!!

From there on out it was pretty smooth sailing. I constructed the skirt like a classic dirndl skirt, with a waistband the same width as my bodice's waist and a full gathered skirt. I then stitched the skirt to the bodice, right side to right side. The only issue was that by that point it was around 12pm and everyone in my house was asleep...Lets just say there is no quiet way to use a sewing machine!! (However I did only use it when very necessary and I whispered "Sorry" every time I started)

I had reached the final hurdle! Once the invsible zipper was inserted I would be done, with a day to spare! Buuuttt, my sewing machine, who had been working very hard for the last few hours, decided that sewing in zips wasn't really it's style. I still don't know exactly why it refused to sew in the zip, and if I hadn't been adament that I was going to finish the dress that night NO MATTER WHAT I probably would've left it until the morning and figured out the problem. But no, I am me therefore I decided to hand sew in the zip, at 1am, IN THE DARK because I share a room with my sister!! (Alright I had a torch but it wasn't exactly a professional set up) The zip finally went in, albeit VERY wonky and I fell asleep with the dress on top of me.
With a sash I mad from sewing the seams of a rectangle of satin and turning in out

Everything was fine until the next morning when I got  to FINALLY try on my dress and realised something that I had been ignoring up until that point: I LOVE sweetheart necklines, but I HATE them on me! At this point I was ready to throw in the towel and burn the freaking thing but I decided to save it. I cut a piece of the lace and stretch satin into a rectangle (the width of my bust+seams x 12cm) I then folded it over and pressed the fold and seams, then I attached the rectangle, like a skirt waistband, right over the top of the sweetheart neckline. This meant there was a straight band on top of the sweetheart covering it completely, finally I added a hook and eye.

CONCLUSION:
This dress was definitely not well thought out, or especially well executed, but it is one of the biggest projects I've ever attempted and I think it turned out looking gorgeous! (plus the last minute change to the neckline balanced the dress out nicely!) It definitely made prom feel more special (Whoop whoop, only girl in a handmade dress!! :P ) and I literally spent the entire night going "I can't believe I'm at Prom wearing a dress I made!!".  To be honest I still can't believe that I made it entirely on my own with no patterns or help of any kind!! EEEKK!! Before the pictures, however, let me show you my favourite part of the dress...

THE COST:
1m Plastic Boning: £1
Ditsy Blue Silk Crepe: £2.67 (Remnant)
Black Cotton Lining: £0 (Stash!)
Teal Polyester Stretch Satin: £10.50 (Thank you mum!!) (With looooaaadddsss left over)
Black Lace: £6.65
18" zip: £2.69
Hook and eye: £0 (Stash!)
TOTAL: £23.51 Stick that up your pipe and smoke it!!

Facebook photos stolen from my friends... And yes, yes my glasses lens did fall out at prom...

No comments:

Post a Comment